Monday, September 17, 2007

9/17/07 First entry into Tin Can Blog

Well, now from the beginning. It all started six months ago with the mutual decision for my wife and I to divorce. Very sad but just what had to be. Anyway I digress, after trying to find (not successfully) affordable housing in the great city of Asheville, NC, It being ridicules housing prices and all, I had to make a decision.(run on I know) I finally decided to take an early retirement, so to speak. I figured why not go on that ultimate road trip now wile I'm still young and able enough to enjoy all of life's activity's that I love. "Moutain biking, Snow Skiing, Backpacking, generally all outdoor stuff and of course BEER!!" I didn't wan to wait and retire at seventy and be to worn out to do the things I love.

The planning begins. where will I live what will I do?
Live in a travel trailer of course. Work odd jobs for extra cash. Sounded reasonable to me.
To make a vary long and boring story short, I looked and Looked at every travel trailer known to man and found that they were ether too small or too expensive, too old or too new.
Then I started to look at the older Air Stream Trailers, not only were they available but at reasonable prices for what you get. By comparison a one year old 28 foot travel trailer was about $17,000 and a 32 year old Air Stream was only $ 3,200. I know what a difference you say! Well believe it or not, the Air stream was built so well that it is structurally better than any of the newer trailers that I looked at.

The Tin Can:
1976 Manufactured 09/1975
31 foot Sovereign International
(pictures to follow soon)

The trailer is pretty much all original except for carpet and curtains. Most everything functions pretty well. I have just started to get into it now.

The Plan:

  1. Sell house, Quit Job (done)
  2. Fix, repair, and modify trailer to fit my needs. (started 8/25/07)
  3. Leave and enjoy a year to two year journey to wherever life takes me. (starting TBD)

The setback:

I tempted fate by looking into an old dead bee box only to discover wasps were using it for building materials. Needless to say they came after me and I ran like a scaredy cat. Bad move, about the third or forth step I went one way and my knee went the other. Long hobble to car and longer drive to hospital. Well one completely destroyed ACL, partial tear in the MCL and a torn Meniscus later I am making slight changes to the "Plan"

The New Plan:

  1. Fix, Repair and or Modify trailer to suit my needs. (Restart on 9/28/07)
  2. Fix, Repair and or Modify knee to suit my needs. (after trailer is done, Month to month and a half)
  3. Leave when knee is good enough for driving four hours o more.

Thats all for now.

Rick

3 comments:

Mike said...

I am buzzzing to hear about your grand adventures. Bon voyage Ricko!

Hope your trip is filled with lots of hills, snow and trails....and as few bees as possible.

Anna said...

Okay Rick,
I think you are totally crazy, but good luck! I'm sure it will be fun?
Anna

Unknown said...

Get that knee fixed so the fun can begin!