Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Return to Van Michael "Area 51"

OK! I Rode the Van Michael trail in the reverse direction from my first ride. I guess I was a little premature on my review. Having now experienced this very fun and somewhat difficult trail in the "Fun" direction I can justify a much more positive description of Area 51. First off it feels like they built this trail going in from this direction, Sun, Mon, Wed, Fri., the direction changes daily, because you can feel the flow and ebb of every turn, climb and decent. I have now ridden it this way twice and feel like I can truly give it a Thumbs Up for the Fun to Effort factor. The climbs are pretty tuff, a couple of granny gear over revving of the heart rate, with most being middle chain ring pushes. Now in this direction you get some fast downhills with a few good jumpable water bars and fast corners. You still need good brakes but you can use them to set up for the 180 degree hairpins that flow very nicely. The trail is still rideable for anyone that is not a true beginner, but in another year as the trail wears in and becomes more technical with rocks, ruts and roots, it will really be an expert only trail.
Hopefully riding a trail near you'
Rick

No comments: